How to Play Poker – In-Depth
Everything you need to know about playing Poker!
Poker is one of the most popular games in land-based and online casinos today. It is believed that the game started in the United States in the 1800s. It was originally called poque in New Orleans, wherein the game was brought by French traders and sailors. There were also some historical accounts pointing to the origins of poker in China where it was initially played as a domino-card game in the 10th-century.
Today, poker is a game of chance and strategy that is played using a full deck of 52 cards. The cards are ranked from highest to lowest, and the suits have no rankings.
If you want to learn how to play poker, keep on reading and we’ll share some things that you need to know.
Rules of Poker
Knowing the rules is one of the must-haves when it comes to how to play poker. This will give you a better understanding of how the game works.
One of the most important is to understand the ranking of the hands, which will dictate who wins in a game.
- Royal Flush: The highest-ranking hand in poker has 10, Jack, Queen, King, and ace of the same suit.
- Straight Flush: This means that you have five consecutive cards in the same suit.
- Four of a Kind: You have four cards of equal rank and a fifth card with any value, which is the kicker.
- Full House: It happens when you have three cards of the same rank and another two cards of the same rank.
- Flush: This is when you have five cards with the same suit regardless of their rank.
- Straight: This is when you have five cards in a consecutive order regardless of their suit.
- Three of a Kind: You have three cards with the same rank and two cards with whatever value.
- Two Pair: You have two different pairs with the same rank and one unrelated card.
- Pair: You have two cards with the same rank.
- High Card: The lowest-ranking hand, players compete based on the highest value of the card they have.
The betting round starts with a pre-flop that moves in a clockwise direction. Each player will be dealt two cards. Next is the flop wherein three face-up community cards will be turned. It is followed by one more card called a turn and the last card called a river.
So, How Do You Play Poker?
If you want to know more about poker how to play poker, here’s how the game is played. Take note that there are different types of poker, but in this short guide, our focus will be on Texas Hold’em, which is considered the Cadillac of poker.
- A game of poker starts with betting. The player next to the dealer is the first to place a bet, which is called the small blind. The small blind is half the minimum bet allowed in the poker table. The next player, on the other hand, will place the big blind, which is equal to the minimum bet.
- The dealer will burn the first card out of the deck, which means that it will not be included in the play. Each player will then receive two cards. Check your cards. It will be passed clockwise.
- Once you look at the cards, you will have several choices. Say check if you do not want to bet. Call is to match the previous bet. Meanwhile, raise is to add more bet to the pool. If you say raise, the other players will then have to decide what they want to do. If you want to give up your cards, believing that they won’t win, then you will have to fold.
- After the first round of betting, the dealer will burn another card and put three cards in the table, which is called the flop. These cards can be used by all players for building their hands. Compare these with your cards and see if you can build a winning hand.
- The dealer will then deal a fourth community card. Another round of betting will take place, wherein you will have the option to check, bet, call, fold, or raise.
- The dealer will deal a fifth community card, also known as the river. Each player will then reveal the cards they have in a clockwise direction.
So, How Do You Win at Poker?
If you are looking for the best strategies on how to win at poker, we got your back. Below, we’ll talk about some of the best things that can help increase your chances of winning.
Learn How to Bluff
Bluffing is a risky but rewarding strategy that can let you win at poker. The goal is simple – to make the other players believe something that isn’t true. Proper timing is one of the most important when you are bluffing. Bluffing should not be always used. If you are a beginner, bluff only when the stakes are not too high. Smaller bets will be more convincing to the other players on the table. Start your bluff early in the game. This way, you will be able to establish authority. Know when to give up, which is when the stakes are getting too high.
Start at Low Stakes
One of the Poker Rules when it comes to how to win at online poker is to keep the stakes low. As a novice, your goal is to learn the fundamentals of the game. Take the time to know the ropes instead of instantly jumping into huge bets. You will be more comfortable knowing that you are not risking a lot of your money. This will also let you play against the weakest player, making it easier to leverage. This will give you a better picture of how the game works.
Fold When You are Unsure
As a beginner, there will be a lot of instances wherein you will be clueless about your next move. If you do not know what to do, it is best to fold your cards. By giving up, you are minimizing the possibility of a huge loss. The more confused you are, the higher is the chance that you will make uninformed bets. You should learn when to fold, which should be done not only when you are unsure, but also when the stakes are too high for your bankroll to sustain.
Without a doubt, poker is one of the most popular casino games. It can be quite intimidating for beginners, so you need to learn how to play poker before you start with real money bets. In the same way, you should also know how to win at poker online, which is possible by doing the things mentioned above.
Ready to start playing poker? Check out Digibet today!